Why Should I Adopt a Ferret?
Are you thinking of adding a ferret to your family? Visit the ferret shelter, and adopt! Here is a list of reasons why adoption is the perfect solution to finding the "perfect" ferret as your new family member:
- Personality - Usually, by the time a ferret is surrendered to the shelter for placement, it has passed through the “kit” stage and is now on its way to adulthood. The charming and distinct traits that make up the personality of the ferret are formed and are there for you to observe. By this observation, you will have a very good idea if the particular ferret you are considering would be a good candidate to become your new family member.
- Size - Some potential adopters have a preference as to size. Some want a large ferret and others want a small ferret. By the time most ferrets reach the shelter, they have generally reached their full growth whereas when buying a kit at a pet store you will not know until the kit reaches full growth (generally around 4 mos. of age) what the actually size of that ferret will be.
- Color - Some may want a dark sable, light silver, or a cinnamon, etc. The ferrets in the shelter have usually obtained their adult color pattern, although this may vary with the seasonal coat change.
- Economics - When adopting from a shelter, the ferret will have already had its annual distemper and rabies shots (which are required by law). When you purchase a kit from a pet store it does not have these vaccinations (they have baby shots which are only boosters) so now you not only have the expense of buying the ferret, you have the added expense of getting the ferret its current shots. The shelter has already had this done, so now you only have the expense of the adoption fee which is far more reasonable than buying a kit from the pet store.
- Shelter Policy - MaFF sanctioned shelters share the same policy or guarantee–if you care to call it that. This policy states that if for some reason within the first 30 days, the “perfect” ferret that you chose to become your new family member does not fit into the family as you had hoped it would, you are able to return the ferret to the shelter and either choose another one or you can have your adoption fee refunded. A pet store will not do this!
- Feelings - After you have visited the shelter and observed the beautiful, loving ferrets there just waiting for someone to give them a loving home and you have given one or more of them that home and family, you will have extremely strong feelings of satisfaction because you have played a very important part in the ferret’s life. The fuzzie will reward you a hundred times over with love and enjoyment for your act of love in providing it with a human family. The ferret will enchant and entertain you for the rest of its life.
You Will Never Regret Adopting a Ferret–Or Two!