One of MaFF’s missions is shelter, which involves both foster care and the finding of permanent homes for ferrets in need. See our foster ferrets.
The MaFF Shelter Is Currently Closed to Surrenders.
Due to the heavy volume of surrendered and abandoned ferrets, MaFF’s Foster Network is temporarily closed to intakes. All our shelter ferrets are older and hospice ferrets requiring medicine and vet care. If you are facing a situation where you must surrender your ferret we can try to help you place your ferret by showcasing him/her on our Facebook page and website. Anyone interested would be directed to you so you can make the final decision if it would be a good fit for your ferret. If the situation is urgent you can try one of the other area shelters or the MSPCA or Animal Rescue League. Email us at email@example.com if you would like our assistance in finding a new home for your ferret.
More Shelter and Foster information:
- Area Animal Shelters who take ferrets
- New England Ferret Shelters
- So you want to adopt (or foster) a ferret
- If You Need to Surrender a Ferret
- Taking in Rescues
Ten Commandments for Ferrets
- My life is likely to last 5 to 8 years. Any separation from you will be very painful.
- Give me time to understand what you want from me.
- Show me your love.....it is crucial for my well being.
- Remember that I am a small animal that can be hurt easily. Protect me from all that is brought around me.
- Teach me with encouragement, not abuse.
- Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I recognize your voice.
- Don't be angry with me for long, and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, friends, entertainment. I have only you.
- Before you hit me, remember that I have teeth that could hurt you, but I choose not to use them.
- Care for me when I get old. Remember, you too will grow old.
- Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say "I can't bear to watch" or "Let it happen in my absence." I'm scared and everything is easier if you are with me.
(Reprinted by permission from AFA Report Volume 10, Number 5, Sept/Oct 1999)